Posted by Vincent de Paul on
- Other Apps
ShortSharpShot.com in association with Naija Stories, The Green Heritage and Visual Eyez Multimedia, proudly presents an online contest in commemoration of the 54th Independence Day of Nigeria. This contest aims to help Nigerians better appreciate their collective cultural wealth through the power of exceptional storytelling.
Adamu. Emeka. Funmi. We engage everyday with the cultures that have spawned these names.
Hyelapa. Vadinyan. Bariabruk. Sound strange? These are all Nigerian names, too.
Over the years we have engaged with the amazing cultures of the three major ethnic groups of Nigeria namely Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo. But hundreds of ethnic groups in Nigeria remain in the shadows, perhaps each one sheltering incredible cultural beauty and ingenuity. It is time for stories from these minor ethnic groups to rise.
We want to hear new names, experience new cultures and visualize the places these minor ethnic groups thrive. We hope that you will enchant us with brilliant storytelling that shines with the economy of just 300 words.
1. This competition is open to Nigerians of all ethnic groups.
2. Your submission must not necessarily be based on your ethnic group (if you hail from a minor ethnic group).
3. Only one submission per person. Each submission must be a story written in prose but which can be based on any theme of your choice. It should neither be an article, poem or dramatic piece.
4. The entries must be original, and not previously published in any online or print channel.
5. Entries must not be more than 300 words.
6. Submissions must be written in good, clear and grammatical English.
7. Special consideration will be given to entries that use captivating language and vivid imagery.
8. Food, proverbs, festivals, names, belief systems--feel free to weave these or whatever product of culture your ethnic group of choice has spawned.
To Submit Your Entry
1. You must be a member of Naijastories.com. If you're not a member already, click to register HERE
2. Post your entry and add the tag of Minority Contest
3. At the top of your submission, state the ethnic group you chose and the state(s) where it can be found.
1. The contest opens on Wednesday, 1st of October 2014 and the deadline for submission is Friday, 31st of October 2014.
2. Longlist of entries that meet the criteria will be released on the 5th of November 2014.
3. Judging will take place from 6th to 16th November 2014.
The winners will be announced on the 17th of November 2014.
1. N30,000 for the winner, N20,000 for the 1st runner up, and N10,000 for the second runner up.
2. Comic strips based on the three winning stories will be created by Visual Eyez Multimedia and published on ShortSharpShot.com.
3. Artworks based on the fourth to tenth top stories will be created by various talented Nigerian artists and published o n ShortSharpShort.com.
4. The top twenty stories will unveil ShortSharpShot.com at its launch in November 2014.
ABOUT THE SPONSORS
Launching in November 2014, ShortSharpShot.com will be an exciting hotspot for engaging with short but breathtaking bursts of art, photography, literature and film. Visit the site to learn more and sign up in advance.
Founded in October 2011, The Green Heritage is a visionary initiative with the ultimate goal of taking Nigeria's multifaceted heritage to the pinnacle of global cultural relevance. 'Like' the Facebook page to engage with stunning facts and images from around Nigeria.
Visual Eyez is a dynamic multimedia enterprise that delivers spectacular media products revolving around film, graphics/web design, app development, corporate branding and consultancy. Visit visualeyezng.com to learn more.
Naija Stories is a website set up and committed to promoting Nigeri an Fiction, a social network for Nigerian writers of all skill levels and readers of both genre novels and literary fiction. It is an avenue for readers and publishers to discover new authors and for writers to share their work, gain recognition, and connect with their audience and each other.